NOW RECRUITING NEW SKATERS FOR OUR SEASON 12 BOOTCAMP!
Interested? Shoot an email to our recruitment inbox at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bootcamp practices are scheduled to start in the fall of 2019. Completing bootcamp is required to be eligible for making the team’s roster.
Never skated? No problem! Seasoned rink rat? Let’s hone your skills! We’ll cover everything from how to fall safely to roller derby game play, and what to expect when you join the Mayhem for our exciting and hard-hitting twelfth (!!) season. All skating levels are welcome.
We will get you into a full set of skates and safety gear and show you what you can do!
We are currently recruiting women, ages 18 and up, presently insured, of all shapes, sizes and skating ability. Come play roller derby and see what it’s all about. Men and women with an interest in skating referee positions are also welcome!
Some of the areas of focus in addition to skating will be off-skates endurance training as well as strength training.
If you find that you enjoy it (and we know you will), you’ll be expected to buy your own protective gear and skates (see below). Please arrive to practice a little early to get laced up and ready to go.
TIPS FOR PRACTICES:
- Wear exercise clothing. You will sweat.
- Bring clean tennis shoes for injury prevention workouts.
- Bring a water bottle. The snack bar will not be open.
- Bring whatever gear you have at this point!
- Be willing to sign a hold harmless waiver, or you will not be permitted to skate.
- Be ready to hit the floor before practice starts.
- General public not permitted to watch practice. If you are thinking about joining as a skater, ref, or non-skating official you are more than welcome!
Equipment – Your priority is to get equipment first, then skates.
All participants are required to wear all of the following protective gear:
- Helmet (multi-sport, hockey, or skateboarding)
- Wrist guards
- Elbow pads
- Knee Pads
- Mouth guard
- Quad skates
When you do order skates, you must get quad style skates, or speed skates. No roller blades or artistic style skates are permitted.
Insurance – Primary insurance is mandatory to be a skater. You will also be required to purchase secondary roller derby insurance in addition.
Rules/Regulations – Our governing body is the WFTDA (Women’s Flat Track Derby Association). We play by these rules and these rules alone. They will also allow us to rank nationally and send skaters to other cities to compete.
Roller Derby Explained!